Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pad Thai


A few years ago my wife and I took our kids and my mother in law to Thailand. I have been a fan of Thai food for many years and I was really excited at the thought of eating the real thing. Well I was not disappointed. I loved walking through the back alley of Bangkok and see how the average Thai lives. It was feast for the eyes with display of fresh produce every where. Wherever we went there were food stands offering an array of Thailand’s best dish.

Every night one of those vendors would set a full restaurant on the sidewalk, chair, kitchen, and even a host. It was extraordinary to watch, since they put it up in less than 15 minutes. One of my favourite dish offered on Bangkok' street was the pad Thai; I had one everyday and never got tired of it. I have looked everywhere for a good recipe and this one is very close to what I was served. The dish is very easy to put together and most of the ingredients are available at the Asian market here in Kelowna. Enjoy.


Ingredients:

1 tablespoon tamarind concentrates.
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons palm sugar
2 teaspoons chilli sauce
1 serving rice noodles
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 serving shrimp
1 shallot (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 egg (lightly beaten)
2 tablespoons roasted peanuts (chopped)
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1 green onion (chopped)
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
lime wedges

Directions:


1. Heat the tamarind, fish sauce, sugar and chilli until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Cook the noodles as directed.
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Add the shrimp, shallots and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
5. Add the sauce and the noodles and mix and move to the side of the pan.
6. Add the egg, let it set a bit and then mix it into the noodles.
7. Add the peanuts and bean sprouts and cook for a minute.
8. Add the green onions and cilantro and remove from heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment